When I first arrived, I thought people were giving me unenthusiastic answers to everything I asked- like if it was safe to take the train or walk in a certain area or if the temple in the south was nice to visit. Every time I asked a question, people gave me this very subtle head tilt back and forth from side to side. Sort of the bobble head thing, not really a forceful shake. It made me wonder if I was being too forceful in my questioning or asking to be to brave in my exploring of the city.
This side to side head bob replaces nodding yes here. If someone agrees or answers yes, they simple bobble. And it also is a sign of approval, thanks, sort of a polite parting gesture as well. Sort of like how when we walk out the door we say something like "Ok then" "Sounds good" or "take care". As a matter of fact, people seem to bobble pretty much any time, while talking about things that are good or exciting. Or the people who are listening to someone else will bobble showing that they are hearing, understanding, agreeing.
I'm trying to learn to do subtle bobbing as well, since I tried nodding and it just seems to confuse people. It is very common to bow one's head when taking leave of someone, but this does not replace the nod. Nod is replaced by bobble. Subtle bobbling is hard. I tried and it first came out as a shake, it makes you a little dizzy. It's getting better- and hopefully I'm making myself understood. So if I come home bobbling, you'll know why!
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment